Let’s Get Back To Work
During the 82nd Legislative Session, Mr. Miles fought against Republican attempts to balance the state’s budget deficit on the backs of Texas children, the elderly and its most vulnerable citizens. He also authored legislation to expand urban farming and crack down on police brutality, and was named a Star of the Session by the Texas Classroom Teachers Association for defeating legislation to increase class sizes and erode teacher employment rights.
Mr. Miles is a lifelong resident of Houston; growing up in Sunnyside where he attended Jack Yates High School, “Home of the Mighty LIONS”! After high school, he received the Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and Criminal Science from Sam Houston State University.
A former law enforcement officer, Mr. Miles is a successful entrepreneur and businessman, owning and operating the third largest (and most successful) African-American independent insurance agency in the United States and the #1 African-American owned agency in Texas.
Started as a one-man operation in his garage apartment, today his company – Borris L. Miles Insurance — writes more than $56 million dollars in insurance premiums annually.
Mr. Miles’ office is located in Houston’s Third Ward on Almeda, where he purchased and renovated two city blocks and provides professional lease space to seven other minority-owned businesses and their employees.
Mr. Miles believes that by investing in his community, he is having a positive impact on the business and economic base of the area.
In addition to his professional endeavors, Mr. Miles is very active in his community.
Some of his civic and other affiliations include:
• City of Houston Affirmative Action Advisor Board, former member
• State of Texas Auto Theft Prevention Board, former member
• Urban League Board, former member
• United Negro College Fund, former board member
• Houston Sickle Cell Association, former board member
• 100 Black Men of Houston, founding member
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Life Member
• North Forest Scholarship, Endowment, Founder
• Sickle Cell Research, Endowment , Founder
Mr. Miles has also won and/or been recognized for numerous honors and awards.
• 2005 Houston Citizen Chamber of Commerce Pinnacle Award Winner
• 2003 Houston Citizen Chamber of Commerce Pinnacle Award Nominee
• 2003 YMCA Super Achievers Award
• 2002 Farmer Insurance Wall of Fame
• 1999 Farmers Insurance Leadership Award
However, Mr. Miles is most of proud of the award; “Greatest Daddy in the World” presented to him in 2005 by his children.